How do you start a WordPress blog? People think blogging is a hard thing to start. That is not the case. All you need is to dedicate time to it as a job that will motivate you moving forward.
Starting a blog gives you an opportunity to explore the internet while making money from the blog. Am gonna educate you on how to start a blog, write a blog post, monetize your blog, and grow like a pro!
Blog for Money NOT Passion. When you consider your blog as a job from the start, you will always be motivated to go on.
Over the past few months, I’ve built a blog that has made me over 3,000$ dollars just as a beginner. This is the exact guide I used to help you create a blog that will generate income within a short period of time.
I started my blog with zero experience and with time learning Search engine optimization. I believe it is the faith we have in ourselves that makes us achieve our goals. All you need is a computer/laptop and an internet connection to start your own blog.
The main challenges I had as a beginner were finding the best topic or niche to blog and what steps to follow or even how to get people to read what I wrote!
Let me take you through a few things you need to know before you get started.
- Do you enjoy your blog niche topic? When your blog niche is what you are more passionate about, you are motivated to create more and more content without draining your content ideas.
- The expectation of Readers. Another thing is all about the expectation of the reader on what you write. The better and more good content you write the more they will read and gain trust in your services.
- Who Is Your Audience? Who will read your blog? Understanding your target audience is key to creating content that will interest them. For example, if your target audience is small business owners or aspiring entrepreneurs, then you may want to discuss topics related to running a business or starting one.
- The Purpose of the Blog. What do you want to accomplish with your blog? Do you want to share information about your hobbies? Is it to promote your business? Do you want it to be a source of income? By defining the purpose of your blog, you can better create content that aligns with that goal.
10 Critical Steps to Follow When Starting a Blog
This will be all you need to get started with your new blog. Also, you can read more using the suggested links where I have written even more basics on starting a blog!
Let us get started…
Step 1: Choose Your Blogging Topic/Niche
The first step to building a successful blog is to choose your niche (or topic). Some people call this “choosing your blog’s topic.”
Your niche is what you’ll be writing about and what will attract readers to your blog. If you want your blog to be a success, you need to know how to choose your blogging niche so you can stand out from the crowd.
One of the biggest mistakes I see bloggers make when choosing their niche is that they choose one that isn’t popular enough or one that isn’t specific enough. Your niche needs to be specific enough that it attracts readers who are looking for information on the particular topic you’re writing about.
Choosing a popular niche doesn’t guarantee success, but it can help. If you’re going into a lucrative niche market, chances are good that there are already several established blogs in that niche and many more new ones being created every day.
Why you should spend as much time as possible on this step
Blogging is a lot more than writing. It also involves learning how to promote your blog, how to monetize it (make money from it), and how to manage it. All of these things take time and energy.
And if you get the wrong niche, you could be spending all your time fixing a mistake instead of building something great.
How to Choose a Blog Topic/Niche
- Determine Your Interests– will you enjoy and like what you choose?
- Find Your Passion – It’s a good idea to write about things you’re passionate about
- Get to Know Your Audience
- Research on Competitors and Industry Trends
- Pick a Topic That Converts
- Use Keyword Research Tools such as Google Keyword Planner to find the right keywords
- Focus on information that is new or unique
- Consider what people are searching for online, and answer their questions
Step 2: Choose a name for your new blog
It’s time to choose a name for your new blog!
Let’s consider you as a mom or dad. What name would you name your kid? Choosing a name for your blog is one of the most important decisions you’ll make. It’s like naming your child. You want to get it right. The perfect name can help you grow and do amazing things in the future. The wrong name, on the other hand, can make it hard to get noticed, attract the right readers and accomplish what you want with your site in the long run.
Your blog name is a reflection of you and your niche. It can be anything, as long as it’s easy to remember, pronounce, and spell. If you’re still not sure about the name of your blog, here are some tips that you might want to consider:
How to Choose the Right Name for Your Blog
- Keep it short.
When picking a domain name, you want something short and simple. Longer domain names are harder to remember and type into a browser. They also tend to be harder to rank well in search engines because they can’t be as easily matched with relevant search queries.
✔ You can have a longer domain name but make sure it’s easy to pronounce and spell.
- Make sure it’s available on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Pinterest.
- Make it memorable and easy to pronounce/spell.
I mean Choose a catchy name. Your blog’s name should be easy to remember and unique. You don’t want to choose something that sounds exactly like another blog or one that people can’t remember. A good way to come up with catchy names is by using alliteration. The repetition of the first letter in words makes them more memorable. For example ProBlogger, CopyBlogger, and Men with Pens.
- Avoid slang or cultural references that may not be understood everywhere in the world or by everyone.
- Use Keywords If Possible
Include keywords in your domain name if possible. If you’re writing about specific topics, try to include keywords directly in your blog name. For example, if I was called “Wise Bread,” I’d probably be getting a lot more search traffic for one of my most popular topics: “how to save money.” The same is true for many other personal finance blogs that use the word “money” or “finance.”
- Consider using your own name as part of the title if it’s available, or use it as a domain name instead.
✔ If you’ve already built up a following on social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter under a particular name, it may be best to keep that name as your domain name. This way, people who have come to expect certain content from you will know where to find it.
Step 3: Get Web Hosting and Domain Name
After finding the perfect name for your blog in step 2, you will need to register it online. To do this you will need to also get web hosting and then register your domain name there. Note that you can buy the domain name elsewhere and add it to your hosting provider.
Your domain name is like your address on the Internet. It tells people where to find you. Domain names are surprisingly cheap and easy to purchase.
Domain names help visitors remember and find your website in search results and on social networks. They also help identify you online when people read about you or hear about you from others.
In simple terms, Web hosting is essentially renting space on a server to host your website (and related files) so users can access it. To do that, you need two things: A domain name and Web host/hosting.
So, Where do You get a Domain Name and Web Hosting?
There are many hosting providers out there to start with but I recommend Bluehost. Bluehost offers the world‘s best hosting and it is recommended by WordPress. Get started now for just $2.95 per month and 1 free year domain name. Read our Bluehost Review to find out more.
Follow the simple steps after clicking the “get Bluehost” button. After you are done, it is time for step 4 …
Step 4: Set Up the Blogging Platform (Install WordPress)
By default, Bluehost offers a Blog web hosting package that comes with a one-click WordPress install.
How to Set Up Your Blogging Platform: The Few Steps to Follow
We will use the popular blogging platform WordPress.org to set up your blog.
First, log into your hosting account and press the “WordPress” icon under the “Auto Installers” tab:
Click on the “Install Now” button.
Choose the domain or subdomain you wish to install the WordPress blog on. Select “http://” or “https://”. It is not necessary to write www here.
Fill in your website name and description fields if you don’t want to use the default one. The admin username and password fields are for your future login credentials for your WordPress dashboard. The email field is for your WordPress administrator login email address. Click on the “install” button when you’re done!
After a successful installation, click on “View Credentials”. You’ll see your new site’s credentials as well as an access link: You can use the link for official login into your WordPress dashboard.
✔ Congratulations on your first bold move, You Can now start blogging by setting up WordPress and creating content.
Step 5: Setting Up WordPress
Congrats! You have installed WordPress on your server and can start customizing it to your needs.
How to Set up and Customize Your WordPress
It’s time to set up WordPress! Before we begin, we need to make sure that you have a strong password. We have an article on how you can choose a strong password for your WordPress dashboard. This is very important since your password will protect your blog from hackers and also keep out unwanted visitors.
– Login to your WordPress dashboard
You can do this by going to http://yoursite.com/wp-admin/. On that page, you will see the following login screen:
First, enter the username and password that you chose during the installation process. Once done, hit the Log In button.
Congratulations! You now have access to your WordPress dashboard! If this is the first time that you are using WordPress, then take a look around and get familiar with the place. Make sure that you don’t install any plugins or add new posts just yet. Let’s finish setting up first.
– Change the default “admin” username
*This step is for additional safety of your account which you can skip. Not necessary!
Changing the default “admin” username is a good security practice. Hackers will target this user first, so by changing it you reduce your website’s attack surface by at least one method.
In order to change the username, you need to create a new admin user, and then delete the original “admin” account.
✔ Log into your WordPress site as an administrator/user with administrator privileges
✔ Click on Users > Add New (at the top of the page)
✔ Fill in a user name and email address and click on Show password to generate a password for this new user (you can change it after you log in)
✔ Give this user Administrator privileges by checking the box next to Administrator under Role (at the bottom of the page)
✔ Click Add New User and then delete the original “admin” account.
– delete unnecessary themes, pages, posts, and plugins
The WordPress dashboard is filled with unnecessary themes, plugins, and drafts/trash posts. You should delete all of these to save up some space. Every theme and plugin that you activate on your WordPress site adds to the loading time. In most cases, they also add a lot of unnecessary bloat to your website, which slows things down even further.
How To Delete unnecessary Themes, pages, posts, and Plugins
✔ To delete unnecessary themes, go to Appearance > Themes > Theme details > delete.
✔ To delete unnecessary plugins, go to Plugins > Installed Plugins and delete the ones you don’t use.
✔ To delete unnecessary drafts/trash posts, go to Posts/Pages > All Posts/All Pages and delete them from there.
The more plugins you install and the more themes you switch between, the slower your site will be.
– create important pages in WordPress
How to Create Pages in WordPress
- Log in to your WordPress admin panel
- Go to the Pages > “click” Add New
- Insert the title of a page and write the content
- Publish the page
– install essential plugins for WordPress
If you’re looking for more add-ons, WordPress has over 50,000+ plugins in the repository for everything from contact forms to custom post types and taxonomies to features like Elementor free and pro version, image compression, Google Site Kit, Google Analytics, lazy loading, UpdraftPlus Backup/Restore and more! Plus there are premium plugins available from companies like Gravity Forms that can help you create advanced features on your site like calculators and quizzes as well as advanced forms if you need them as part of your business website!
Enable SEO features with the Yoast SEO plugin, which includes built-in XML sitemaps and social metadata for Facebook, Twitter, etc.
To be able to appear on Google, the Yoast SEO mentioned above generates an XML sitemap which you can then send to Google. Here is the full guide; How To Index Your New WordPress Website On Google (Faster)
– set up permalinks for SEO
This step will help you optimize your URL structure so it appears as the title. Here is an example of a bad and good URL structure.
The two links will take you to the same page, but you can see that the first is well optimized for Google and even users. It is easy to understand what you expect. URL structure is very important in any blog website.
✔ Read the warning on the image to see how it can impact your website! This should be strictly done on a new website that is still not indexed. You can learn how to index a website here.
– customize your theme
On any page of your website, you can click customize from the top left. The second way is to on your main home dashboard, click appearance > customize.
Design your pages, single post, and achieve pages to the look you want. I use the Astra theme as seen in the image above.
There are way many things to do on a new site but those are the most basic. Our next step is to create content …
Step 6: Publish Content and Grow Your Blog
Now you can focus on creating content and growing your audience.
To create a new post:
✔ To add a post, visit posts > add new post
✔ Give your post a title.
✔ Type directly into the visual editor or write with HTML or Markdown.
✔ Add images, galleries, videos, or audio files to your post. You can also style text and quotes using the formatting tools available in the toolbar.
✔ Optimize it with Yoast SEO
✔ If you’re satisfied with your draft, click Publish.
How to Grow Your Blog Faster
- Write about topics that matter to your readers.
- Use images to make your content more visual.
- Be consistent in publishing new blog posts every week.
- Add internal links to other relevant content on your site.
- Make sure your content is unique and original. And don’t plagiarize!
Step 7: Pre-Launch Campaign and Publish Blog Content
When you create a new blog, your first step should be to start your pre-launch campaign. You can build excitement and interest in your readers before you even publish your first article.
By doing a pre-launch campaign, you will also get people interested in what you have to say by letting them know that you are going to be sharing valuable ideas with them.
The next thing you can do is find a topic that is related to what your audience is looking for. This will help you get people interested in the content you are going to share with them.
You can use different ways to build up hype around the content you are going to provide. For example, if you are writing about a new product or service, you can give out a sample of it for free. This will help build up some interest in the product or service that you are offering.
You can also try giving away something for free and then charge for it after the launch of your blog.
The Benefits of Pre-Launch Campaign Your Blog
- It increases your social media presence
- It helps in building a community
- It helps to build awareness of your brand before you launch
- It makes the post-launch process easier
- You can create hype for your blog
- You can get feedback about your ideas and content from a targeted audience
- You can generate more traffic to your blog
- It helps you in creating better content for your readers
- It helps you in connecting with influencers and getting them involved in your campaign
- It helps you gain momentum ahead of the launch
Step 8: Promote and Grow Your Blog Following
Blogging is a great way to build an audience and establish yourself as an expert in your field. But it takes more than a few posts to get that audience.
To grow your blog, you need to adopt a content promotion strategy that works. Here are some effective tips to help promote and grow your blog.
How to Promote Your Blog as a Beginner
- Promote your blog on social media
Social media is one of the most popular ways bloggers can promote their blogs. Social media provides many benefits for bloggers, including:
- A channel for sharing your blog posts with other users.
- An opportunity to connect with readers and influencers in your niche.
- A chance to build referrals from other sites in your industry.
- An easy way to drive traffic back to your site is from social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube, and Snapchat (just to name a few).
- Write guest posts
Guest blogging is a two-way street. In addition to posting content to other blogs, invite people in your niche to blog on your own site. They’re likely to share and link to their guest article, which could bring new readers to your site. Just be sure that you only post high-quality, original content without spammy links, because Google is cracking way down on low-quality guest blogging.
When you write your guest post, think about adding a relevant CTA at the end of the post. If you’re promoting a research paper on sleep deprivation, maybe include a link to a pillow product page so the reader can take action by buying it.
Guest blogging also gives you an opportunity to get backlinks. Look for sites that have high domain authority scores within your niche and reach out with an interesting pitch or idea. If they accept your piece, make sure they include a do-follow link back to your website
- Write interesting headlines and titles
If readers don’t know what your story is about by just reading the title, they won’t click on it to read it!
- Post regularly
If people come back often and there’s never anything new to read, they’ll stop coming back. Consider posting at least once a week.
- Post about things people care about.
Do not just write about what you had for lunch – unless that lunch was with someone famous! If you’re writing about yourself, make sure the things you’re writing about would interest other people too.
Step 9: Monetize Your Blog
Having a blog is exciting and fun. It’s a great way to express yourself, share your ideas, and connect with others. But what happens when you want to take the next step and start making money from your blog?
Whether you are looking for a full-time income or just some extra cash, there are several ways to monetize your blog. We’ve got all the info you need to get started.
You can turn your hobby and passion into a full or part-time job by monetizing your blog.
The easiest way to make money from blogging is through advertising. The most common form of this is displaying Google Adsense ads on your blog, which when clicked earn the blogger a small amount of money.
Some bloggers also sell advertising space directly to advertisers — usually in the form of banner ads on their sites – either directly or through ad networks like BuySellAds
– Affiliate marketing
Affiliate marketing involves promoting someone else’s products or services on your site and earning a commission each time one of your readers makes a purchase through one of your links. Affiliate programs work best when they are integrated into the content of your site; for example, if you run a lifestyle blog and want to promote kitchen supplies, you could write an article called “The 7 Best Food Processors For Busy Moms On-The-Go” and include an affiliate link at the end. There are many affiliate programs you can join, including Amazon Associates and VigLink. Those two companies alone offer more than five million products each. In order to make an affiliate marketing strategy work, you need to be thorough in choosing what program to use and then put in some hard work to see results!
– Sell advertising space
One of the most common ways bloggers generate revenue is by selling ad space on their sites. There is a wide range of ways this can be done, from displaying traditional banner ads to integrating native advertising (which blends in with the rest of the website).
– Ecommerce product sales
If you have your own products for sale, whether physical or digital, you can sell them on your blog. This is commonly done by bloggers who create e-books or other digital products. For example, if you’re a health and fitness blogger, you might create an ebook about nutrition tips or workout routines that you could sell on your blog.
– Services sales
If there’s a service that you offer that’s related to the topic of your blog, consider selling it on your site as well. For example, if you’re a writer/editor who blogs about business issues and trends, sell copywriting services or editing services on your blog (through a landing page) so people who see your content can easily see the services you offer and land with clients who are interested in your work.
Note!!! When you’re starting a blog, it can be tempting to focus solely on creating great content and worry about monetizing your site later. But that’s actually one of the biggest mistakes you can make, as many business owners don’t even start to see a significant return on their content until after their site has been live for 6 months or more.
The Benefits of Monetizing Your Blog
- It’s a way to get paid for what you enjoy doing
- You can make money from anywhere
- Your blog pays for itself (and then some) over and over again
- It creates opportunities to help others, which is one of the highest forms of success out there
- You can create a full-time income as a blogger and leave your 9-to-5 behind (if you choose to)
- You can travel and explore new places while making money while doing it
- Nothing beats that feeling of waking up each morning knowing that you’re doing something you love!
Step 10: Happy Blogging
– Wish you a happy and successful career!
So there you have it: everything you need to know about how to start a blog in 2022. You can do this! Remember, blogging is just like any other form of writing: the more you do it, the better you’ll get. This is just the beginning of your journey.
5 Things To Remember When Starting A Blog
- Don’t spend money on your blog until you have an idea of what you’re doing
- Avoid using themes that require coding knowledge
- Be prepared to work hard and offer something of quality.
- Don’t get discouraged/Be open-minded. (It will take some time for your blog to grow.)
- Enjoy the adventure!
How Much Does it Cost to Start a Blog?
The costs of starting a blog can vary widely. It depends on how diverse your needs are and how much you’re willing to spend on your hobby.
If you want to start as cheaply as possible, it’s possible to get going for next to nothing. However, if you want to use your blog as a business, there are some things you’ll need to pay for.
The average is $40 to $99. This is the most common plan, but the important thing is to know the features of your hosting plan.
How much money can You make from blogging?
Blogging can be a great way to make money. But it’s not a quick road to riches. It takes time to build up an audience, and once you have that, there are other challenges and costs.
As a beginner, you can make between $100 to 999$ per month as long as you put in the work.
The vast majority of bloggers do not make any money or make very little money.
What are the different types of blogging?
Blogs are one of the most popular ways to share information and connect with people online. It’s no wonder—blogs can be used for a wide number of purposes, from online resumes to political soapboxes. Here are the main types of blogs:
- Personal blog. A blog that shares your personal thoughts, ideas, life experiences, and opinions.
- Brand blog. A blog that promotes a brand or company.
- Corporate blog. A blog that’s published by a corporation, usually covering topics related to the industry and commenting on current events in the news that relate to the company’s interests.
- Niche blog. A blog that focuses on a specific niche topic or interest (e.g., knitting).
- Organization blog. A blog published by an organization or non-profit to share news stories and opinions with their members and the general public.
- Photoblog. A blog that publishes photographs from around the world or from certain groups of people (e.g., cute cats).
- Video blog (“vlog”). A video version of a traditional text-based blogging website where content is typically centered around video footage shot by the blogger themselves or republished footage from other sources (e.g., movie trailers).
Is blogging a full-time job?
Yes, absolutely it is.
Blogging is a full-time job just like any other job. In fact, I’d say it’s more than a job and you should treat it as a business right from the beginning.
I have been a blogger for the past few months now and I haven’t looked back since. It’s an amazing career and lifestyle that gives you complete freedom to work when and where you want. But it can be hard work too!
There are many different types of blogs out there, so you need to find the one that suits your personality and interests best. Blogging is not something that you can do overnight and become rich overnight, but if you are dedicated enough and willing enough to put in the work necessary, then you can become successful at blogging.
What’s the difference between a side hustle and full-time blogging?
The difference between a side hustle and full-time blogging is the same as any other job: it’s about how seriously you treat it.
I’ve always been an entrepreneur at heart. That meant I had a job, but also started my own business on the side.
After years of running both, I finally got to a point where I was earning more from my “side hustle” than my main job. At that point, I took the leap and quit my job to blog full time.
Nowadays, I’m still treated as a part-time blogger because people don’t understand the work that goes into blogging full-time.
Points to Note: 👇
What is a side hustle? A side hustle is an activity you do in your spare time that earns you extra income. It should be something you enjoy or are good at. There are lots of possible side hustles out there. Some people start a dog walking business, sell crafts on Etsy, or clean houses on the weekend.definition
What is full-time blogging? A full-time blogger is someone who makes money from blogging as their primary source of income.
What are some of the pros and cons of blogging as a full-time job?
✔ You can work from home
✔ You can work with anyone in the world
✔ You get to choose your own hours
✔ You get to choose your own projects
✔ You don’t have a boss breathing down your neck
✔ You can work in your pajamas if you like. No need for a suit and tie to make money
✍ There are no benefits
✍ Your income is not guaranteed (it fluctuates)
✍ You have to pay for your own health care insurance or you have to make arrangements for it on your own.
✍ It’s not easy! For every successful blogger, there are probably 10 who haven’t made enough money yet to quit their day job
✍ There are no paid vacations or sick days and it’s up to you to set your own hours and make sure they are productive
What are the most popular types of blogs?
- Lifestyle — Probably the most popular type of blog, a lifestyle blog covers everything from what the blogger ate for breakfast to the latest fad diet.
- Fashion — Fashion bloggers show off their own personal style to give readers ideas and inspiration for their own wardrobe.
- Travel — Travel blogs follow a blogger as they travel to different destinations around the world. They also give tips and tricks for different places.
- Food — Food blogs are a great way to find new recipes or learn about different foods from cultures around the world.
- Beauty — Beauty blogs give makeup tips, skincare advice, and product reviews for other beauty products.
- DIY — DIY blogs offer creative ideas for how to do things yourself. They feature everything from crafts to home renovation projects.
What are the most profitable types of blogs?
The most profitable type for blog types is those that attract a lot of readers. In other words, the more readers you have, the higher your chances of making money from your blog. Here is a list of 10 blog types that make money.
- Lifestyle Blogs
- Personal Finance Blogs
- Parenting Blogs
- Health & Fitness Blogs
- Food Blogs
- Travel Blogs
- Craft & DIY Blogs
- Business & Marketing Blogs
- Fashion & Beauty Blogs
- Photography Blog
Are there any differences between blogging and traditional media?
Yes, there are a lot of differences between blogging and traditional media. Traditional media includes print, which is newspapers, magazines, and books. It also includes broadcast, which is radio and television. All of these forms of media are produced by a publisher or broadcaster, who has control over what is published or broadcast. They are centralized sources of information.
In contrast, blogs are decentralized sources of information. A blog is usually owned and operated by an individual who has complete control over what content is published. Blogs have no editors or reviewers to tell them what they can or cannot publish.
Blogs also tend to be more personal than traditional media. Many blogs are written from a first-person perspective and convey the author’s thoughts and opinions on a subject rather than just the facts. Even when presenting news or reporting on a current event, many blogs will include the writer’s own commentary alongside the report rather than simply provide an unbiased account of the event.
From an article-publishing standpoint, blogs are easier to update than traditional media due to their online nature. If a blogger wants to add an article to their blog, they can log in and write an article whenever they want. With traditional media like magazines and newspapers, articles must go through several steps before being accepted for publication.
Where can I create a blog for free?
Here are the top 5 sites where you can create your blog for free without any technical expertise or coding knowledge.
- WordPress.com – The most popular blogging platform on the internet.
- Blogger.com – Owned by Google, and very easy to use.
- Tumblr.com – An easy platform to start your first blog.
- Weebly.com – If you are looking for something really simple.
- Mediums.com – An interesting concept with a strong community of bloggers and readers.
What are the Benefits of Blogging?
- You Can Start Making Money Right Away
- Blogging Aids In Search Engine Optimization
- Blogging Drives Traffic To Your Website
- Blogs Help You Develop And Promote Your Brand
- Blogging Helps You Position Yourself As An Expert In Your Niche
- A Blog Helps Establish Your Business As The “Go-To” Source For Information
- Blogs Make It Easy To Connect With Customers And Prospects
- Blogging Can Help You Generate Leads And Sales From Each Post
- A Blog Allows You To Connect And Communicate With Your Customers And Prospects On A Personal Level
- It’s Fun!
- Blogging is a passion and a hobby to some, but it is also good business.
- A successful blog starts with you.
Thanks for reading.
We hope you enjoyed reading this blog, please do give it a share. Do you have any questions or concerns we didn’t address above? Please let us know in the comments below! We would love to hear from you.
Have A Nice Day.